- About Orienteering
- Upcoming Events
- Get Better
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
General Event Information
Quantico Orienteering Club events usually take place on Sundays, with a start window running from 11am to 1:30pm EST. Courses close and everyone is required to report back to the finish by 3 pm EST. Classic events typically include a full range of courses, including ones suitable for beginners, and consist of a series of checkpoints (also known as controls) which are to be found in order and on foot. Volunteers will be on hand during the entire start window to give beginner instruction. Exceptions to these general event parameters (such as for non-classic courses) will be described in the meet announcement and meet notes for individual events.
Regular individual adult registration fees are shown below. Members are defined as members of QOC or visitors who are members of any Orienteering USA-affiliated or foreign orienteering clubs. Juniors are those under 21 years of age. Registration fees cover the provision of one map. An additional map for a second course is $2. Participants are welcome to copy a second course onto any map they've already paid for that day without paying any additional fee.
Team or Group Entries
Participants are welcome to compete together as a single team entry; a group is defined as the set of people sharing one e-punch (electronic timing unit), and all starting together (a "starting unit"). Teams containing one or more nonmembers are charged a single nonmember individual rate (see below). Teams containing one or more adults are charged a single adult individual rate. For teams to receive member or junior rates, all members of the team must be members or juniors, respectively. Each extra team map beyond the first is an additional $2. Individuals or teams desiring to compete on a second course can do so for a reduced fee of $2/map.
Note: juniors = under 21
|Club Member, adult||Club Member, junior||Non-Member, adult||Non-Member, junior|
|Other (non-map) fees||Amount|
|Compass replacement if lost||$15.00|
|Whistle (sale not rental, recommended but not required)||$1.00|
Most of our events use an 'epunch' timing chip for electronic timing. Individuals or groups without their own epunch pay a higher entry fee (see above), which includes the loan of an epunch for that event. Loaned epunches that are lost incur a $40 replacement fee; please provide collateral (driver's license or car keys) when borrowing a compass or epunch. Epunches (also known as SI-cards or finger sticks) are usually available for sale at the electronic timing station at each event as described here.
QOC membership can be purchased or renewed at any QOC event or through this web site via our Membership page. Annual membership fees are $20.00 per individual or $30 per family or group (such as school). Non-members participating in an event who decide to join that day can count their registration fee towards the cost of their membership.
At this time, at events QOC only accepts payment by cash or check, whereas online we accept payment by credit card or PayPal for memberships or the (few) events offering pre-registraion.
Map fee examples
- A QOC club (adult) member with their own epunch: $5. A QOC (adult) member borrowing an epunch: $10.
- Non-member husband and wife (adult) couple, borrowing an epunch, and orienteering together (i.e. one epunch, one start time): $15 total for both if they want 1 map, $17 if they want two maps.
- Team of 3 adult adventure racers, one of whom is a member and who has an epunch, orienteering together, and wanting 3 maps: $10+$2+$2= $14 total for the group.
- Non-member family of 4 consisting of 2 adults and 2 juniors, borrowing an epunch, all orienteering together, wanting one map: $15 total for the family.
- Two Boy Scouts (both non-member juniors), going out together, borrowing an epunch: $10 total if they want a single map, $12 if they want 2 maps.
- Member family, consisting of 3 starting units (one adult, one adult plus one child, and one child, each unit wanting one map, and each having their own epunch): $(5+5+5)=$15 total for family.
If this policy is unclear, please ask (or make suggestions) for clarification!