- About Orienteering
- Upcoming Events
- Get Better
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
Orienteer on relatively new terrain near the Clopper Lake section of Seneca Creek State Park (Gaithersburg, MD), thanks to an expanded map from course setter Nadim Ahmed. There will be eight courses to choose from (2 beginner, 1 intermediate, and 5 advanced), and very complete course notes are now posted below.
As with all QOC events, we will have free newcomer instruction at this event. A QOC member will show you how to read a map, teach you how to use a compass with your map and give you hints on how to navigate your choice of course. Besides that, just wear a smile and the clothes you would for a hike or run in a local park. Bring a compass, if you have one, or borrow one at the event. And dogs (on leash) are welcome at Seneca Park too. Driving directions are below; for those using ride-sharing services, this event is within the DC metro coverage area of Uberpool.
Event timing will be standard: register anytime between 10:45 - 1:15, start between 11 - 1:30, and be back before the controls start being picked up at 3pm.
Other event notes:
- Park entrance fees are $3/per person or $5/per person (MD vs out-of-state residents) at the entrance gate. Children in safety seats enter at no charge.
- Green, Red, and Blue courses will explore a new area of the State Park south and westward of Riffleford Rd.
- Registration will be at the Blue Jay Pavilion, towards the west end of the parking area shared with the Nuthatch Pavilion. Carpooling is encouraged. A park map is here; the Blue Jay Pavilion is at the left (west) edge, towards the bottom.
- If we overflow the parking lot, we are allowed to park along the NW side of the road leading to it, i.e. the right hand side of the road as you drive in.
- Map scales will be 1:5000 for white and yellow courses, 1:7500 for beige and brown, and 1:10000 for all others.
- Bathroom facilities are located at the east end of the parking area.
- Dogs are welcome but must be on a leash.
- There is a disc golf course in this park (see the DNR map cited above for it's location).
Seneca Creek State Park, Clopper Lake, Blue Jay Pavilion (Classic)
|Registration||No advance registration required. Just show up and have fun!|
|Start Times||You may start your course at any time during the start window listed below for your event.|
|Schedule||Sunday, April 23 |
|Location Details|| |
|Course Details||Classic |
|Course Notes||Classic |
New areas have been mapped. The Blue, Red and Green courses go into them. A large area in the far southwest for the Red and Blue courses was mapped with the green symbol, due to tree blowdown. Two large rough open fields that Red and Blue runners may choose to cross do have thorns—these are mapped with the vertical green slash symbol.
|Entry Fees||Individual Entries
Note: juniors = under 21
Team or Group Entries
Participants are welcome to compete together as a single team entry. Teams containing one or more nonmembers are charged the nonmember individual rate. Teams containing one or more adults are charged the adult individual rate. For teams to receive member or junior rates, all members of the team must be members or juniors, respectively. Each extra team map beyond the first is an additional $2. Individuals or teams desiring to compete on a second course can do so for a reduced fee of $2/map.Important Notes